Why is Diet a Dirty Word?

We carried out a survey to see how people feel about dieting and were surprised by the results.

86% of us will put on weight over Christmas, so when the new year comes around you’d think we’d all be ok admitting to be dieting and getting our bodies back on track, but nope, even though 81% of the country admit to being on a diet (87% women, 75% men), and over half (55%) start one in January. So why are we embarrassed to admit we’re dieting?

It looks like we’re all in on it with industry brands as well as shoppers ditching the ‘D’ word. Our new stats revealed that only 29% of Brits will say they are on a diet, with the other 71% preferring to refer to it as a “health kick”, “healthy eating regime”, “clean eating regime” or “mindful eating”.

When it comes to a diet, 3-in-4 Brits admit they feel depressed, sad or stressed just from hearing the word, with 75% also admitting they feel embarrassed sharing that they are on one.

Regardless of what we call it or the plan we follow, 72% of us admit we struggle to maintain a healthy weight. 93% of Brits who have tried dieting admit to failing and 80% of these claim this has put them off trying again. The main reasons for diet failure?

  • Inability to resist junk food (39%)
  • Always feeling hungry (39%)
  • Comfort eating due to feeling sad (38%)

With the reasons behind quitting a diet alluding to the fact that people are either restricting themselves too much or turning to food without thinking, it’s clear more help and support is needed. A diet can be used to help lose weight but in order to maintain this weight loss, it needs to be teamed with a lifestyle change, embedding positive new habits into our lives.

That’s where we come in, dieting shouldn’t be a dirty work and nor should it be complicated, this year try changing your dieting approach and support the notion that mindful eating and intermittent fasting is the most positive and successful method to lose weight – and keep it off.   

Mindful eating is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It encourages you to be in the moment when you are eating, focussing on what is in front of you. This brings focus back to portion control, food groups and flavours on a plate, whilst also encouraging you to listen to your body and determine when you are genuinely hungry or actually full.

By combining mindful eating with our “Fast Philosophy”, you can lose weight easily and efficiently.   Our team think:

Regardless of how it is dressed up, the UK is currently filled with diets, and they can be effective in helping us achieve our weight goals. However, fad diets which cut out full food groups or significantly deplete key nutrients are unsustainable and can be unsafe.

It’s time for the nation to take back ownership; if you want to diet, do it, if you want to have a treat meal, eat one – just be mindful of what and why you are eating, rather than just eating for eating’s sake. This approach, teamed with our unique Fast Philosophy, allows consumers to manage their weight successfully whilst still enjoying food and life. It’s a plan that works around you and that means you’re more likely to successfully manage your weight in the long term.”

Visit The Fast Zone and our Tips and Recipes section for more help and advice on following The Fast Philosophy and incorporating mindful eating into your diet.