Beetroot’s sweet, earthy flavour makes it the ideal partner for bold ingredients like smoked salmon. It also works well with tangy goat’s cheese and feta.
- 30g bulgur wheat
- 80g cooked beetroot, cut into small pieces
- 50g radishes, quartered
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ small bunch basil, finely chopped
- ¼ small bunch mint, finely chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 60g smoked salmon, cut into short strips
- juice of ½ lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bulgur wheat in enough boiling water to cover, for around 5 mins or until almost tender, then drain.
- Mix with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl, seasoning with black pepper to taste.
- Smart tip: If you’re cooking the beetroot yourself, trim off the leaves, retaining a short stem, and leave the skin on – this stops the bulb from ‘bleeding’ juice. Either bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the skin peels away easily, or wrap in foil and roast at around 170°C, gas 3 for 2-3 hours, until you can easily pierce the flesh with a knife.
Total Time: 10 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!