Here’s our take on a classic casserole that’s perfect for a warm summer’s day – and no slaving over a hot stove!
- 220g chicken boneless chicken thigh, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot (approx 80g), chopped
- ½ red pepper (approx 80g), chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- 30g pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the chicken in the flour.
- Put in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Smart tip: Try this veggie alternative: omit the flour, replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock and swap the chicken for 1 medium aubergine (approx 250g), cut into chunks, plus 200g whole oyster mushrooms (162 kcal, 7g protein, 28g carbs, 3g fat, 3g fibre per serving). 78 kcal, 40g protein, 10g carbs, 9g fat, 4g fibre).
Total Time: 8 hours 5 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 8 hours
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!