A fruity home-made meringue always tastes (and looks) impressive, yet it’s surprisingly quick and easy to make.
- 2 rings (140g or 5oz) sliced canned pineapple in natural juice
- 30g (1oz) fresh/frozen raspberries
- 1 level tsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 10g (1/3 oz) sultanas
- White of 1 small egg
- 1 level tsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas 4.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Put the pineapple rings on top of each other a small ovenproof dish and fill the hole with the raspberries.
- Mix the ground almonds, cinnamon, sultanas and 1 tbsp of the pineapple juice, and pour over the pineapple and raspberries.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg white in a clean, dry bowl until stiff, beat in the sugar until glossy and then spoon on top of the pineapple.
- Bake for 6-8 mins, until the meringue is set and just starting to brown.
- Smart tips:
- To separate the egg white, crack the egg into your clean hand and let the white run through your fingers into a bowl underneath.
- Egg yolks will keep for a couple of days in the fridge. They’re ideal for use in carbonara, home-made mayonnaise, in tiramisu or to make a rich omelette (add a splash of milk to keep it light).
Total Time: 18 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 8 minutes
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!