Spice up your life with a hint of cinnamon and cloves in your porridge – and pack in one of your five a day, too!
- 40g (1½oz) jumbo or whole oats
- 2 tsp (10g) oat bran
- Approx 300ml water (to get desired texture)
- 1 medium eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Put the oats and oat bran in a small, non-stick pan and add the water, then simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, simmer the apple, cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan in 2 tbsp water for around 15 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl and top with the spiced compote.
- Smart tip: Try with pear instead, either fresh when in season or otherwise tinned (in natural juices and drained).
Total Time: 17 minutes
Prep: 2 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!