Give yourself a tasty treat with this easy to prep, nutrient-packed lunch.
- 120g butternut squash, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- 3 baby plum or cherry tomatoes
- ½ small red onion, sliced into wedges
- 80g tenderstem broccoli
- 60ml hot vegetable stock
- 30g pearl barley (dry weight)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas 6.
- Cook the barley according to the packet instructions (this generally takes around 30-40 mins), then drain.
- Put the squash, red pepper, tomatoes, onion and broccoli on a non-stick roasting tray, drizzle with the stock and roast for 30 mins until the vegetables are soft and browning.
- Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until they brown and start to pop.
- Combine the cooked barley and vegetables in a large bowl, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and scatter with the pumpkin seeds.
- Smart tip: Try quinoa, brown rice or green lentils in place of the barley.
Total Time: 85 minutes
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!