We love this simple take on the classic Vietnamese bo kho – beef stew. The longer it’s cooked, the deeper the flavours, so it’s perfect for popping into your slow cooker.
- ½ lemongrass stalk, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½ tsp chopped chilli
- 1 tsp five spice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300ml hot beef stock
- 300g stewing beef (all fat removed), cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot (approx 80g), roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours (high for 4), until the beef is tender.
- Smart tip: If you want to reduce the meat content, swap out some of the beef for peeled, cubed sweet potato.