Sweet potato is bursting with flavour, as well as beta-carotene, fibre and antioxidants like vitamins C and E, so it’s a great alternative to the trusty white jacket.
- 200g sweet potato
- 50g ripe avocado flesh, roughly chopped
- ½ medium tomato, finely chopped
- juice of ½ lime (or 1 tbsp bottled juice)
- 30g red onion, finely chopped
- 10g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Pinch cumin
- Ground black pepper
- ½ red or green chilli, finely chopped (omit for a milder flavour)
- Wash the sweet potato and prick all over with a fork.
- Place on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven (180°C, gas 4) for about 40 mins, or until it yields slightly when you press it gently. Alternatively, microwave on high for 5-8 minutes (first wrap in 2 sheets of kitchen paper towel to absorb the moisture from cooking and create a crispier skin than you’d usually get from a microwave oven).
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado in a bowl with a fork, then add the tomato, lime juice, onion, coriander and cumin, season with ground black pepper, and stir well.
- When the potato is ready, cut a cross in the top and push upwards around it to loosen the flesh – this makes it easier to scoop out. Mash the flesh in a bowl, stir in the guacamole, then serve in the potato skin.
- Smart tip: Alternatively, use 200g white potato, baked at 200°C, gas 6 for about 1 hour, or microwaved on high for 7-10 minutes (290 kcal, 6g protein, 42g carbs, 11g fat, 4g fibre).
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!