A family favourite with a healthy twist.
- 500g (1lb 1oz) extra lean minced beef (max 5% fat)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g (7oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 100ml (3½fl oz ) stock
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (or 1 tsp minced/chopped garlic)
- Few sprigs of thyme and 1 bay leaf (or 2 tsp dried herbs)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp skimmed milk
- Ground black pepper
- Brown the mince in a non-stick saucepan over a medium heat, draining off any fat.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, celery and carrots and cook for around 10 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and season with ground black pepper.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes until the sauce has thickened, then remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf (if used).
- Place the butternut squash in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender, then drain. Mash with the milk and season with black pepper to taste
- Pour the mincemeat into an ovenproof dish, top with mashed Butternut.
Total Time: 95 minutes
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 70 minutes
How useful was this recipe?
Click on a star to rate it!